I’ve not noticed this at all on the campus on which I teach but, ear to the ground as I am, that doesn’t mean it’s not going on.
With reports of slutshaming websites and pimp and hoe student nights littering the media, you might think that now is a hopeless time for feminism at universities. Lad culture appears to permeate all aspects of student life – from Facebook newsfeeds to the debating chamber of Glasgow University.
But women are fighting back – or at least that’s what the recent surge in the number of student feminist societies suggests.
Students at the Universities of Westminster, Durham, Liverpool, Gloucestershire, Central Lancashire and Kings College London have each set up feminist societies in the last 12 months. [Rest.]
- Student leaders declare war on ‘lad culture’ (thetimes.co.uk)
- Lad culture in universities: new feature and NUS report (thefword.org.uk)
- Student leaders declare war on ‘lad culture’ (schoolsimprovement.net)
- Perfectly Innocent Sexist Banter and Abusive Lad Culture… (gingertallandawkward.wordpress.com)
- My thoughts on ‘Lad Culture’ (myflowerytrousers.wordpress.com)