[Read the rest: ]According to a recent news article, more than 1,100 female military members who served in or near Iraq or Afghanistan were asked to complete anonymous mail surveys as part of a study conducted by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
48.6 percent said they had been sexually harassed during their time in a war zone. Sexual assaults during deployment, up to and including rape, were reported by 22.8 percent of women.The results of the study show that prevalence rates of sexual assault are much higher than official complaints indicate:
In February, more than 20,000 women were serving in Afghanistan. In the preceding year, only 115 reports were filed alleging sexual assault, according to the Pentagon.
- Almost a quarter of female American troops become victims of sex assaults in combat zones (EndtheLie.com)
- US Female Troops: Almost 50% Sexually Harassed & Almost 25% Sexually Assaulted In Combat Zones (infiniteunknown.net)
- VA finds sexual assaults more common in war zones (usatoday.com)
- Near a quarter of US female combatants report being sexually assaulted (sott.net)
- 23% of Women in War Zones Are Sexually Assaulted: VA (newser.com)
- One In Four Women Sent To Iraq And Afghanistan Report Being Sexually Assaulted (alan.com)
- Almost a quarter of female troops become victims of sex assaults in combat zones (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Eighty Sexual Assaults reported at Military Academies (waronterrornews.typepad.com)