Two/ two: Friday feminist roundup (13th September 2013)
I fell behind so today’s roundup had to come in two installments. Here’s the first and below is the second. (Also, Monday feminist roundups are going to be posted on Fridays from now on.)
On reproductive rights:
- And on the same issue: The campaign against sex-selective abortion is a cynical effort to take choice away from pregnant women (newstatesman).
In the academy:
- Political Science Is Rife With Gender Bias, Scholars Find (chronical.com).
- If Men Do It … (on predominantly male self-citation practices in academia) (insidehighered.com).
- ‘Women’s issues’ skew the science careers debate (theconversation.com). Note that the title of this piece is misleading – it seems to imply that there is a misconstruction of gender inequality in the sciences because of “women’s issues”. They state what they mean by that quite loaded title in the piece.
HT to psawomenpolitics.wordpress.com for all of the above.
- The old boys’ network is alive and well (commentisfree).
And in employment in general:
- Women are still trailing men on salaries and bonuses, research finds (women-in-leadership).
You’ve all heard about the Femen debacle by now (that it was set up and controlled a man, and not a very nice one at that). Many of you saw that revelation coming. I didn’t. Here’s some commentary, and an explanation from a Femen member:
- Femen let Victor Svyatski take over because we didn’t know how to fight it (commentisfree). Now that’s no surprise.
- If Femen was set up by a man, where does that leave its topless protests? (commentisfree).
- The Femen scandal shows how muddled we are about men and feminism (commentisfree).
Finally, all else:
- Lusty Lady – world’s only unionized peep show – on verge of closure (commentisfree). I’d never even heard of it. It’s closing because the model can’t be sustained, apparently. ‘Part of the problem for organising sex workers is the high turnover. People just aren’t invested in their rights because they might only work for a summer. There are co-operative models that work, for sure, but we would need better requirements of the staff to join to make it more efficient. Of course, the double-bind of that would be the need to vote on it ….’
- Here’s some more #everydaysexism for you: Welcome back to school, girls. And mind those breasts! (commentisfree). ‘On night two of the new school year, my daughters’ high school principal sent out the following email: “kids” were not to show “the three Bs: No bellies. No buns. No breasts.”‘ Nice.
- Tips and tricks: How to help girls run the world: parents and teachers, listen up (commentisfree).
- Oh for crying out loud! Study: Men Often Feel a Blow to Their Self-Esteem When the Women They Love Are Successful (alternet). ‘A woman’s success also makes a man less interested in their relationship, researchers found.’
- Critics can’t decide if feminists hate sex or are having too much of it (commentisfree). Either way, I dare say we’re doing it wrong.
- It’s not necessarily feminist (though there are implications): America Is More Terrifying Than Orwell’s Fiction (alternet).
Oh, and another one on everyday sexism and misogyny (street harassment):
- On Street Harassment: The Incident Count (gradientliar).