The Republican Party continues to hack away at reproductive rights around the country–and Ohio is the latest place to be targeted by anti-abortion forces. Governor John Kasich signed the state budget Sunday night–and included in the budget are a number of measures that would restrict abortion rights in the state. It was signed over the objections of protesters who descended on the state legislature.
“Wait until the first women dies; wait until the first doctor leaves Ohio,” warned one protester.
But the anti-abortion group Ohio Right to Life praised the legislation. “It took great compassion and courage for our governor and pro-life legislature to stand up to the abortion industry that blatantly pressured them,” said Mike Gonidakis, the president of the group.
The bill is in line with the extreme measures the GOP has been pushing around the country and that caught national attention in Texas. Here are 6 of the worst anti-reproductive rights provisions contained in the Ohio state budget.
1. Places Limits on Rape Clinics
Rape clinics are no longer allowed to counsel victims on abortion options under the new budget. If clinics do undertake that counseling, public funding would be cut off. [Rest.]
- Flanked By Men, Ohio’s Governor Signs Draconian Abortion Bill Into Law (leftandcenter.com)
- Ohio Republicans deny women their constitutional rights (tv.msnbc.com)
- Why Texas Abortion-Restriction Laws are a National Problem (feimineach.com)
- Ohio Governor Signs Extreme Anti-Abortion Measures (huffingtonpost.com)
- Ohio mandates abortion ultrasounds, guts Planned Parenthood in one fell swoop (tv.msnbc.com)
- Ohio’s Kasich approves sweeping restrictions on reproductive rights (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- New Ohio Law an ‘Orchestrated’ Assault on Women’s Rights (commondreams.org)
- Recent attacks on women’s reproductive rights (quirksmag.com)