Anti-Abortion Laws Are Crimes Against Women
We know that reproductive rights are human rights, so clearly abortion laws are crimes against women. When I first wrote that, one of my friends wondered if it might be a bit melodramatic. Let’s just step back and a take a serious look.
We live in a world in which there are an estimated 68,000 deaths and millions of hospitalizations of women every year that are entirely preventable. Many of these women are already mothers—so their deaths destroy not just their lives, but the lives of their young children as well. To prevent these we wouldn’t need to spend millions of dollars, or even one dollar, searching for a miracle cure. All it would take is for men to give up their pathological need to control women. Politicians cause these horrors. Across the planet they know very well that the cost of their moral tyranny is women’s lives.
In the United States, 40 years of safe, legal abortion make that terrible reality seem like a nightmare of the past. But in at least 11 states (Alabama, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Indiana, Idaho, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, Mississippi, and Virginia), far-right-wing politicians are passing or attempting to pass dozens of unconstitutional laws directly aimed at making abortion illegal or inaccessible. They know very well that the cost of illegal abortion is women’s lives. And they pass these laws anyway as if the legislature were a private club for sociopathic boys. Then they brag and congratulate themselves on their righteousness. Laws that make safe abortion illegal or inaccessible are crimes against women, whether they are promulgated in Mississippi or Madagascar, North Dakota or North Africa. It is time we named them crimes. They steal our lives, our dignity, our freedom, our privacy, our spiritual autonomy, and our families. [Rest.]
- [link] Irish Women Seeking Abortions May Be Sent to Psych Ward (feimineach.com)
- Why Women Went to Kermit Gosnell – Daily Beast (thedailybeast.com)
- How the Anti-Choice community created a monster. (femborg.wordpress.com)
- Opinion: Gosnell Case shows why abortion rights need protection (cnn.com)
- This Is What Most Abortion Clinics Used to Be Like (slog.thestranger.com)
- GOP Rep. Stockman: ‘Democrats worship abortion’ (thehill.com)
- Is Gosnell’s ‘House of Horrors’ a Glimpse into the Future? (blackamericaweb.com)