Blah, blah, blah, privileged white woman says she doesn’t need feminism and that it’s kinda aggressive and scary and that we should all, just, be cool with each other, blah, blah, blah.
I don’t want to be labelled a feminist because deep down I believe it’s out dated, aggressive and all about “the fight” – the fight for equal rights, the fight for the vote, the fight for freedom. I acknowledge all the work done by our predecessors and for what they have achieved. I am of course, thankful. I am now one of many women who have their own business, can vote and freely express an opinion. Historically there was a lot to fight for, by why now in 2012 do women in the West still feel the need to fight for the things we want?
[More here: huffingtonpost]
Comment I left on the piece (reply to another critical reader):
That is exactly how I read it as well. Women, know your place. Also, just be nice and ladylike and non-threatening and for pity’s sake, think of the poor menz. (Anne, citing the netmums survey is sloppy at best – a quick google search would give you hundreds of sources which accurately critique the methodology and findings of that “study”.)
- [link] The death of feminism? Women say they do not need it any more (warning: more #DailyFail) (afeimineach.wordpress.com)
- [link] The end of feminism? There are more of us than you think (afeimineach.wordpress.com)
- [link] Man haters? (afeimineach.wordpress.com)
- [link] You don’t need an MA in gender studies to know that race matters to feminism (afeimineach.wordpress.com)
- [link] What does feminism mean to you? (afeimineach.wordpress.com)
- [link] What is feminism? Diverse range of women writers discuss their definition, idea, or experience of feminism (afeimineach.wordpress.com)
- [link] Feminism Friday: Reinforcing stereotypes (afeimineach.wordpress.com)
- [link] The end of men? No, but women need to start getting even (afeimineach.wordpress.com)
- [link] Neil Wallis: Voice of the common woman (and her tits) (afeimineach.wordpress.com)